Director of Finance
First Congregational Church, Boulder, UCC (the Church) is a regional congregation drawing members from beyond Boulder County. The Church is a Progressive Christian church committed to faith as a journey, compassionate service, and inclusion of all.
Summary: The role of the Director of Finance and Communications is to serve the financial, communication and operational needs of the church in a way that supports the collective body of the church as the members and friends of our congregation navigate their spiritual journeys and are engaged in outreach and social action in the wider community. The Director of Finance and Communication manages and supports the business aspects of the church’s life, reporting to and working in collaboration with the Senior Minister as Chief of Staff.
RESPONSIBILITIES include, but are not limited to:
- Monitors and manages policies and procedures that preserve the church’s assets and promote transparent financial management and the Church’s mission.
- Periodically reviews and makes recommendations to enhance policies and procedures, manages those changes.
- Ensures all policies and procedures are documented and communicated appropriately to staff and volunteers that handle financial resources.
- Aids in the development of the church’s operating budget, working closely with the Senior Minister, the Treasurer and the Finance Committee.
- Provides supportive leadership in collaboration with the Senior Minister to the Stewardship Committee, toward building a strong culture of stewardship and endowment programs.
- Develops effective tracking and reporting to tie goals and needs driving the church’s stewardship effort.
- Reviews invoices and reimbursement requests for appropriate documentation and approval.
- Assists church Treasurer and coordinates with bookkeeper to prepare and distribute monthly financial statements
- Tracks and coordinates Endowment donations with the Facilities and Office Manager, Treasurer and Endowment Committee.
- Creates and maintains master vendor list in support of congregational committee needs.
- Keeps records of all purchases and codes to appropriate accounts. Submits monthly reports and receipts to church treasurer.
- Keep files for services providers, suppliers, tax exemption records, and legal documents.
- Manages office equipment and contracts.
- In collaboration with the ministerial staff and volunteer committees, creates and manages communication channels that support community engagement, collaboration, outreach and pastoral support using a variety of tools including web, social media, email, and less technical outreach methods.
- Provides content, manages vendors and coordinates with volunteers to maintain the design of the website and electronic communications including updates to content that keep the website useful and engaging.
- Coordinates with staff, volunteers and vendors on style and approach for publications and website.
- Educates, aligns and monitors the work of volunteers in promoting the church on social media platform.
- Creates and manages a photo library, including collecting photos from volunteers, to be used in communications pieces.
- Collects data and written communications; designs and produces brochures, mailings, invitations, booklets, and annual reports.
- Manages the use of the member database to design and implement the best avenues of communication with members and visitors.
- Designs and places newspaper ads and acts as liaison with online and printed publicity resources.
- Responds to or appropriately forwards all inquiries received through the website regarding church events, programs, affiliations, weddings and other rentals.
- Regularly audits electronic church communications, including but not limited to website, social media and internal church announcements for consistency and compliance with church objectives.
- Coordinates efforts with Facilities Manager to keep on-site signage up-to-date.
- Makes recommendations and manages the implementation of advertising strategies, both in print and online.
Administrative Support to Staff –
- Assists the Personnel Committee in the oversight of human resources (HR) operations, ensuring that the right people are supported in the right roles to meet the needs of the church.
- Manages personnel functions in collaboration with the Senior Minister and Personnel Committee including coordinating staff evaluations and ensuring that policies are current and properly administered.
- Assists in the annual review and recommendations regarding employee benefits and administration of those benefits.
- Oversees and ensures the effective operation of the FCC computer system(s) in support of office operations and ministry needs.
Operational Support to Congregants, Boards, Committees –
- Drives innovation around congregant engagement and stewardship to increase support and contribution of time, talent, and treasures.
- Maintains list of volunteer needs across the FCC platform, along with inventory of skills / offerings in order to ensure optimal leveraging.
- Maintains and manages vendor and services contracts and contact list in support of committee and board needs.
- Develops and maintains a database and necessary enhancements to ensure robust and complete records of church documents, committee minutes, and institutional history and experience.
- Supports the Facilities and Office Manager in maintaining and enhancing the database of membership, pledges, volunteers,and other communities of record
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Proven financial acumen and the ability to provide accurate and transparent reporting.
- Skills in database management, MS Excel and Quickbooks.
- Experience working in and promoting a mission driven organization.
- Understanding and appreciation of the theology of First Congregational Church and the role the church plays in the life of congregants.
- Technical capabilities including experience with Constant Contact (or similar product) and the ability to evaluate and recommend and train others in the use technical tools and and communication practices.
- Knowledge of website content management systems and web analytic tools.
- Demonstrated collaboration and coordination skills with staff, volunteers, and vendors.
- Understanding of contracts, landlord obligations, insurance issues and employment practices.
- Congregant focus.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies
- Demonstrated excellence in both written and graphical communication.
- Approachable demeanor; ability to act as a strong and capable mentor in relationships with both staff and congregants.
- Ability to exhibit both a calm center and problem-solving abilities.
- Organizational and project management skills.
- Experience managing vendors and consultants.Excellent storytelling abilities and ability to convey sensitive stories in a way that connects people to the mission of First Congregational Church.
- Ability to maintain appropriate confidentiality around sensitive topics.
- Ability to act in accordance with strong moral principles and trustworthiness.